Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Survivor Woman

We were talking with our friends, Mick and Jeanette, last night over dinner, discussing the economy and possible strategies for saving money on food items. Husband found this to be the opportune moment to do his gig on how he loves to eminate Bear Grylls and Les Stroud, the Survivorman-types.

"I've eaten wasp larvae!" he stated proudly, "And I found it to be very nutty."

I repressed the desire to say 'you are what you eat.'

"It was delicious!" he went on, "so sweet and quite satisfying."

Jeanette was looking across the table at us in undisguised horror. Unabashed, Husband was elaborating on what items could be used as food, should the need arise. It is true that once on a camping trip to impress my teenage sons, I ate a winged ant. I mentioned this and how humorous it had been to me that when the boys did it, each time they talked I could see a stray whispy ant leg on their tongues. For some reason the legs were difficult to scrape off, after the fact....

Jeanette, at this point, was absolutely recoiling in horror, and giving me a look that said, "I guess I've never really known you, all these years....I thought we were the same..."

Mick amiably joined in the conversation and contributed the several food sources that he knew of that might not be considered as such in the course of day to day living. Jeanette turned to him as if he had just grown another head. It was clear that she wanted out of the conversation.

When Husband revisited the exquisite taste of the wasp larvae, Jeanette had had enough. She took a deep breath, and blurted out, "Couldn't ya just....DIE?"

Guess she won't be drinking camel urine anytime soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment