Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ride On


“You’re one of us now,” she told me. It didn’t matter that she already had nine children of her own; she said I made it an even ten and adopted me on the spot.

I was then introduced to the world of random ice cream eating, laughing till I wept, having full-blown Thanksgiving dinners weeks or even months early, (just because we could), and sitting around a living room talking to my new family while ignoring the TV, due to how much we enjoyed one another. That’s the sort of people this woman raised; those that loved deeply and unconditionally.

The one I learned to call ‘Mom’ helped me through the years endure many heartaches I thought I'd never survive. She shooed away my fears and giggled away my sorrows. She encouraged me, teased me a little bit about lightening up, and often overfed me. She even made my favorite dishes when she knew that I was feeling down.

‘Mom’ saw me through unexpected loss and discouragement. Since that day when she first opened her door, I’ve had an ‘in’ with the family. What she did for me has made all of the difference in my life, and that's trickled down to my children's lives, too.

Mom found her lump early, but she didn’t escape months of treatment, pain and discomfort. It was a scary time, and we know that, so sadly, not everyone gets the results that this family did, although that’s what we all want.

My ‘Mom’ gave me a sense of community. She made me feel that I belonged, that I mattered.



We live within a community that cares enough to want to keep us here. Through early detection. Through getting a mammogram. Ours is a community that wants you to hear the words, ‘Early’, ‘Treatable’ and ‘Survivable’ in the worst way, because our community would not be the same without you. That’s why the Stampede For The Cure wants every darn one of you to be able to get a mammogram, whether you can currently afford it or not. This isn’t something to wait on, girlfriend; this is your life. It’s invaluable.

Stampede for the Cure has a new way of helping to build breast cancer awareness and preventative testing funds this year, with a First Annual Benefit Concert (complete with the sounds of Steve Holy, MacKayla Hunter and Straightaway), beginning with a Stampede For The Cure Motorcycle Ride that gets participants a ticket to the concert, reserved parking and seating, and dinner provided by the delectable Dickies BBQ, all for only twenty dollars!

Tickets are available at Zion’s Bank and Gem Stop locations, so Stampede on in and don’t stop till every last one of you have been mammogrammed.


We need you.


http://stampedeforthecure.org/
http://www.snakeriverstampede.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment