Friday, July 15, 2011

The Snake River Stampede Horse Parade


Any time an author makes me feel like I’ve been there, I know they’ve done a good job with their wordsmithing. I only wish I knew who the author of this piece was. The writer placed us right on that hot July sidewalk. I could almost smell the distinct aroma of horse hair and cooking pavement, mixed in with freshly cut grass from the downtown neighbors’ lawns.

Two years ago the Snake River Stampede Horse Parade was incredible, with Parade Marshal Lloyd Whose-Last-Name-I-Won’t-Attempt. He’s the Lloyd that owned Lloyd’s Country Store in Nampa at one time, and what a nice man.

Last year’s Marshal is a favorite of mine; Mr. Martin Thorne. Martin gave me a temp job at Thorne Printing as a youth when I was in need of cash. When I got older, I used the marquee in front of Thorne Printing to answer a marriage proposal. His grandson and my son have been friends for years, and their family has been a part of my family's life for a very long time. It will be great to see Martin in the Horse Parade, but he’s been in almost every Nampa parade I’ve seen thus far.

For an excellent description of one of our Nampa Horse Parades, click on the link below.
http://www.ourtown.com/nampaid/article/2008/7/14/snake-river-stampede-horse-parade-displays-nampa-pride.html#postco

*Oh, and get your Stampede tickets! It’ll give you something extra to look forward to next week. Surprise your sweetie, who thinks he or she’s not going to get to go this year, with a ticket to her favorite rodeo.

The Snake River Stampede:
It’s your rodeo.
http://www.snakeriverstampede.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment