Friday, July 2, 2010

The Stampede and Country Living

A Letter About the Snake River Stampede and Country Living
Written by Sallie Roberts



I grew up in a small Eastern Oregon town. Cattle drives would go right past my house on the canyon and I would have to follow them to town if we were late to church (making us much later). The smell of kicked- up dirt and dung, the sounds of bawling caves that were temporarily separated from their mothers, the sight of hundreds of brown, black, white, tan, red stock lumbering down the trail all resonate in my mind. But the most captivating sight was the Cowboy who weaved his way in and out of the herd, keeping them moving and on track.

My mother would tell us stories of what cowboys had to do. The skills that made them good at their job. The toughness they posessed and the stubborn streak that ran deep in their blood.

I knew from an early age that the Cowboy was a special person.

One year my mother announced we were going to the Snake River Stampede. This didn't mean a thing to me, as I had not heard of it before. We loaded up with Grandma and Grandpa and headed to Nampa Idaho. The year was probably close to 1967-1970.

That was the first rodeo that I had ever seen. I remember the rows and rows of wooden seats that made a big oval around the arena. The heat of the day (as we went to a day performance), was very hot. A dry dusty heat that pounded up in clouds as the animals stirred about. And that smell… I remembered it from the cattle drives… hung in the air.

Then the action began. I don't remember much of the events, but I do know that I loved the clowns, the music, and the bucking broncos. I do remember the bull riding, but it scared me, the bulls looked so fierce!

That is when I really understood the words of my mother about the toughness of a Cowboy. I saw the strength of man verses beast. I had no doubt that the men I watched handle the broncos and bulls and steer, were made from a different mold.

One of my greatest surprises was when the barrel racing took place. I never had imagined that the girls could be so beautiful, so daring and the horses so responsive. My first exposure to the Snake River Stampede was worth every second of the long ride and the scorching heat.

Years have passed and my favorite summertime memories are piled deep with Snake River Stampede in them.

One memory (I can't remember the year) it was close to one of the last years that the rodeo was held outside, was the musical talent spotlighted. It was Reba McIntire. I didn't get to see her because our seats weren't that good and I was short and behind the crowd, but I could hear her! I had never heard of her before and didn't realize what a precious moment I was living through. She was a thrill to listen to live and I knew I was listening to someone with a great talent. Now years later I wish I had realized how lucky I was to get to hear her.

As the years passed, I moved out of state and started a family. When we returned and made our home in Nampa, Idaho, one of the first things I did was introduce my children to the traditions of the Snake River Stampede. Like my mother, I had been telling them stories about the Cowboy all their lives.

By this time the Stampede had been moved to the Idaho Center. I loved the change and I loved SLACK!! Each year we would sit through every hour of Slack just to soak in the atmosphere. We would go back and see the huge animals up close. We would talk with the Cowboys sitting in seats near us. We would make sure we had some of the Buckaroo breakfast. And we always would get up early to watch the barrel racing time trials.

Each year we would schedule our summer activities to include the library reading program so we could earn tickets to the rodeo. Then we would prepare a day's worth of meals and pack it up to watch slack. Then we would get our tickets and spend the evening and night enjoying the rodeo.

One year in particular will always be my favorite memory. I found out that my parents were coming to town on the same day we were planning on attending the rodeo. I went in to swap out our tickets to get some all together with my parents. It just so happened that we were able to get front row seats to the west of the roping chutes. My parents were tickled to go with us and my father really liked the seats. But the best was yet to come.

They shut off the lights and the Snake River Stampeders started their routine. My father was a little concerned when the lights went off, but his comments of awe and delight soon became whoops and cheers as the lighted horses breezed by us close enough to reach out and touch. That set the stage of the dearest memory I have had as an adult child with my parents.

Every year I try to go back. Every year the thrills are the same. The laughter and suspense never gets old as I sit by family members. Some years we are all praying for the welfare of a cowboy who had gotten himself into a bad spot with a bull. Some years it will only be for the Buckaroo breakfast and a morning of slack. Other years it is volunteering as 4-H servers. But one thing I know for sure, that my summer is always better when I can take my family and make the Snake River Stampede one of its highlights.

I will always be a proud Idahoan because of the tradition and heritage that comes with the good men and woman that have made the Snake River Stampede what it is today. God Bless you all and see you at SLACK 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment